Skip to main content

Longing For

 Longing For




I enjoy listening to a variety of music.  One genre that I listen to frequently is reggae music.  This sound originated in Jamaica in the late 1960s with elements of rock and soul music performed at moderate tempos with the accent on the offbeat. The subsets of music birthed from reggae music that I enjoy listening to are dancehall and reggaeton.  




Dancehall music is a more carefree and sparce version of reggae with an urban youth feel.  Some dancehall artists currently in my playlist are Sean Paul, Shenseea, Popcaan, Mr. Vegas and Beenie Man, however anytime I hear Elephant Man I'm going to turn it up and dance.

Reggaeton is another younger genre that was birthed in the 80s from Panama and popularized in Puerto Rico and is heavily shaped by the African diaspora, dancehall from Jamaica, reggae en Español from Panama, an underground mixture of Puerto Rico hip-hop.  Some Reggaeton artist currently in my playlist rotation are Don Omar, Karol G and Bad Bunny.  



I love the story telling in reggae music.  I remember watching The Kings of Comedy featuring the late Bernie Mac, Steve Harvey, D. L. Hugley and Cedric the Entertainer.  During Cedric's set he talked about reggae music and how it can be about the simplest of subjects, but it can be a "bop."  He gave an example of a song about peanut butter, no jam.  It was hilarious because it was true.



For this countdown Jah Cure's "Longing For" makes the list for its expressions of deep yearning for love and connection.  The entire song is a plea for more love.  In the song the writers begin by declaring "only you can make me feel like a king..." and the love you give the writer describes as "so real."  The only thing he's longing for is to be loved more by the one he loves.



I found it interesting in relistening to this song more closely and not just diving into my own emotions when I hear it that it mentions how his love for this person has gotten deeper since he's reached "prison". And funny story, I had the lyrics to this song wrong the entire time.  I believed that what he was saying was that he feels as if he's in prison, but NO he's expressing that his love has gotten deep, and the longing has gotten deeper since he's been in prison.



Jah Cure born Siccature Alcods grew up in Kingston Jamaica and was given his stage name by Capleton.  His breakout hit "King of the Jungle" featured Sizzla and was produced by his mentor Beres Hammond.

He recorded the album that the song "Longing For" was released from illegally while in prison.  He was later released and is now back in prison for stabbing his promoter over unpaid fees. 






Intro:Yea yuh knowOnly youOnly youOnly you can make me feel, just like a kingLove you give to me so realMakes me give in
Girl, just like magnet to steelYour love -- keeps pulling me in,If its a battle I'll fight for you,I have to winTo prove to you my love is so deep withinIts even getting deeperSince I reach prison
Longing forMy baby to love me moreWhat am I longing for?Babylon release the CureWhat am I longing for?My baby to love me moreWhat am I longing for?Babylon release the Cure
When when when when?Can we see each other againWhen when when when?Can we see each other againI know there's someone, must be there comforting youWhenever you need a friendI'll make you mine, give me some time, I'll surely make you mineIt may be long, now forever.I vow, to get myself togetherI love you baby, always on my mind, No matter the time.
Only you can make me feel, just like a kingLove you give to me so realMakes me give in
Chorus



Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Donovan N Bennett / Nigel Andrew N Staff / Siccaturie N Alcock / Wayne Morris
Longing For lyrics © Reservoir Media Management, Inc, Ultra Tunes




Encyclopædia Britannica, inc. (n.d.). Reggaeton. Encyclopædia Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/art/reggaeton

Los Angeles Times. (2024, February 17). The Yolanda Saldívar docuseries is the latest exploitation of Selena’s memory. Los Angeles Times. https://www.latimes.com/delos/story/2024-02-16/selena-yolanda-saldivar-secrets-between-them-docuseries-oxygen-true-crime-exploitation

Mallick, D. (2023, February 17). Jah cure releases new album from prison, promises he’ll tell his “side of the story” on the next one. DancehallMag. https://www.dancehallmag.com/2023/02/17/news/jah-cure-releases-new-album-from-prison-promises-hell-tell-his-side-of-the-story-on-the-next-one.html

Merriam-Webster. (n.d.). Reggae Definition & meaning. Merriam-Webster. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reggae

Selena Quintanilla: Biography, singer, Grammy winner. (n.d.). https://www.biography.com/musicians/selena

Wikimedia Foundation. (2023, December 30). I could fall in Love. Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Could_Fall_in_Love

Wikimedia Foundation. (2024a, January 20). Selena (film). Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selena_(film)

Wikimedia Foundation. (2024b, February 20). Reggae. Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggae 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Asked Me To

You ever heard a song and it fit your current relationship story perfectly?  That's how it was when I rediscovered Patti LaBelle's, "If You Asked Me To."   LaBelle, released this song in 1989 from her album, Be Yourself . I remember hearing the Celine Dion version as well and falling in love with the song all over again.  Celine Dion is another artist who has hits! I love the way she covers Jennifer Rush's, " The Power of Love. " It wasn't until I was in my late 20s that "If You Asked Me To" began to represent a moment in my love life. I was dating a guy, and we were in the car driving to his family's house because they all lived on one block.  They would all gather together on the weekend to play cards and cookout and all the kids could play freely and random games would start, and it was a lot of fun.   I loved that he enjoyed spending time with his extended family, and I could see that his nieces and nephews really loved him and enjo

I Could Fall In Love

 I Could Fall In Love - The "Seductive Romantic Confessional" I became familiar with the American singer "Selena" Quintanilla after the movie about her life was released in 1997.  I remember watching it at home and being glued to the television from beginning to end.  While watching the movie I learned that this song was the first song to crossover into the American billboard and that she sung in English. I like this song because it is so relatable.  I believe that many of us have stumbled into relationships where we realize suddenly that there could be more, and it could be great but then you question should it be?  This song sings innocently about the first moments in love when all is new, and you are wondering what it could be.   I love how this song is described as a "seductive romantic confessional.  I would not have described it as a "seductive" until I translated the words that Selena speaks midways in the song.  "I'm always dreaming o

QCP Special-BET+ Ruthless "Nirine Brown" Lunch With Lynn interview with Coach Mechelle Canady- Phatabulous Magazine Columnist

Get ready for Press Pass a series of interviews with Tyler Perry’s Ruthless on BET+. Download the BeT+ app today and start watching the Ruthless series. Trust me it lives up to its name honey. The name says it all. Queen Connect publishing will release a series of interviews by columnist and editors of our magazines Phatabulous Duval Connect and Pasco Connect. We’ve teamed up with  Ruthless acts cares   Mercedes TV Magazine  to present a series of interviews with the cast of  Ruthless . This week stay tuned for a series of interviews with  Nirine S. Brown  who plays Lynn on the show. She is a triple threat in the industry not only has she made a powerful mark in acting she has a background in theatre and dance that’s landed her opportunities to work with Beyonce Coachella, Mary J Blige and many others. In these interviews Nirine discusses her route to the screen, working with Tyler Perry, some future roles she would like to play as well as the nuances of being black in the industry and