Skip to main content

Wishing on a Star

Wishing on a Star



Wishing on a Star by Rose Royce is a song that I was introduced to by a movie.  I'd heard it before but having a visual by way of a movie made this song become a soundtrack that has played in the background of my life.  Baby Boy is a movie that a lot of people can quote and if you hear those quotes, you immediately recognize.

One of the most famous quotes happen at the beginning of the movie when Jody says this:

There's this psychiatrist, a lady named Frances Chris Walson. She has a theory about the black man in America. She says because of the system of racism in this country, the black man is meant to think of himself as a baby. A not yet fully formed being, who has not yet realized his full potential. To support her claim, she offers the following: First off, what does a black man call his woman? Mama. Secondly, what does a black man call his closest acquaintances? His boys. And finally, what does a black man call his place of residence? The crib.
~ Jody.



One of my favorite quotes is "Mama gotta have a life too.  One of the funniest quotes to me happens during the scene when Jody is in full hustle mode selling his garments at different shops and in this scene, he is in a beauty salon and shares a funny moment with a potential buyer who says, "I'll squeeze my tiny a** up in this...upstage these b*tches in here.  You like it girl? Cute?" - Winston

My favorite scene is when the song from Rose Royce plays in the background.  I like that this movie infused a lot of classic old school favorites.  Another one of my favorite scenes includes music from Bootsy Collins- I'd Rather Be With You.  



I find it interesting that this movie has two songs that I really enjoy listening to and these two songs were also covered by one of my favorite artists, Beyonce.  She covered Rose Royce, Wishing on A Star in 2006 and was nominated for a Grammy got Best Female R & B Vocal Performance.  

"Wishing on a Star" is a ballad first recorded by American soul and R&B group Rose Royce. It was written by former Undisputed Truth member Billie Rae Calvin, and produced by Norman WhitfieldThe lyrics concern a woman longing for the return of an ex-lover so that they can resume their relationship. 

The song was originally offered to Barbra Streisand for an album project but she declined. It was first released as a single by Rose Royce in 1977 and has since been recorded by numerous acts including the Cover Girls in 1992, Jay-Z in 1998, Beyonce in 2005, and Seal in 2011. 21 Savage used a sample of the original 1977 version for his hit All of Me, which was released on his 2024 album American Dream, and used earlier in the trailer for his debut film, American Dream: The 21 Savage Story. 



I know I have listened to this song over a thousand times. sometimes on repeat all day.  It's a classic and whenever it comes on the radio I turn it all the way up and sing every word and play it to the end.  If I didn't get my fill in that moment I would wait until I get home and play it again and again.  There may be years that I go by without listening to it but it always comes back around again and it's like I never listened to it before.



Click HERE to purchase today!



Lyrics
I'm wishing on a starTo follow where you areI'm wishing on a dreamTo follow what it means
I'm wishing on a starTo follow where you areI'm wishing on a dreamTo follow what it means
And I wish on all the rainbows that I seeI wish on all the people who really dreamAnd I'm wishing on tomorrow, praying it'll comeAnd I'm wishing on all the lovin' we've ever done
I never thought I'd seeA time when you would beSo far away from homeSo far away from me
Just think of all the moments that we'd spentI just can't let you go, for me you were meantAnd I didn't mean to hurt you, but I knowThat in the game of love you reap what you sow
I feel it's time we should make up, babyI feel it's time for us to get back togetherAnd make the best of things, oh, babyWhen we're together, whether or never
I feel it's time we should make up, babyI feel it's time for us to get back togetherAnd make the best of things, oh, babyWhen we're together, whether or never
I'm wishing on a starTo follow where you areI'm wishing on a dreamTo follow what it means
And I wish on all the rainbows that I seeI wish on all the people we've ever beenAnd I'm hopin' on all the days to come and days to goAnd I'm hopin' on days of lovin' you so
I'm wishing on a starTo follow where you areI'm wishing on a star, ohAnd I wish on all the rainbows that I see
I'm wishing on a starTo follow where you areI'm wishing on a starAnd I wish on all the rainbows that I see
I'm wishing on a starTo follow where you areI'm wishing on a star, oh, ah
Oh, baby, baby, I wishI'm wishing on a star, ohTo follow where you areI'm wishing on a star, babyTo follow wherever you might be





Click HERE HERE to Subscribe today for only $2.



Purchase a two -page magazine spotlight today.  Click HERE to learn more.


Click HERE HERE to Subscribe today for only $2.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Asked Me To

You ever heard a song and it fit your current relationship story perfectly?  That's how it was when I rediscovered Patti LaBelle's, "If You Asked Me To."   LaBelle, released this song in 1989 from her album, Be Yourself . I remember hearing the Celine Dion version as well and falling in love with the song all over again.  Celine Dion is another artist who has hits! I love the way she covers Jennifer Rush's, " The Power of Love. " It wasn't until I was in my late 20s that "If You Asked Me To" began to represent a moment in my love life. I was dating a guy, and we were in the car driving to his family's house because they all lived on one block.  They would all gather together on the weekend to play cards and cookout and all the kids could play freely and random games would start, and it was a lot of fun.   I loved that he enjoyed spending time with his extended family, and I could see that his nieces and nephews really loved him and enjo

I Could Fall In Love

 I Could Fall In Love - The "Seductive Romantic Confessional" I became familiar with the American singer "Selena" Quintanilla after the movie about her life was released in 1997.  I remember watching it at home and being glued to the television from beginning to end.  While watching the movie I learned that this song was the first song to crossover into the American billboard and that she sung in English. I like this song because it is so relatable.  I believe that many of us have stumbled into relationships where we realize suddenly that there could be more, and it could be great but then you question should it be?  This song sings innocently about the first moments in love when all is new, and you are wondering what it could be.   I love how this song is described as a "seductive romantic confessional.  I would not have described it as a "seductive" until I translated the words that Selena speaks midways in the song.  "I'm always dreaming o

QCP Special-BET+ Ruthless "Nirine Brown" Lunch With Lynn interview with Coach Mechelle Canady- Phatabulous Magazine Columnist

Get ready for Press Pass a series of interviews with Tyler Perry’s Ruthless on BET+. Download the BeT+ app today and start watching the Ruthless series. Trust me it lives up to its name honey. The name says it all. Queen Connect publishing will release a series of interviews by columnist and editors of our magazines Phatabulous Duval Connect and Pasco Connect. We’ve teamed up with  Ruthless acts cares   Mercedes TV Magazine  to present a series of interviews with the cast of  Ruthless . This week stay tuned for a series of interviews with  Nirine S. Brown  who plays Lynn on the show. She is a triple threat in the industry not only has she made a powerful mark in acting she has a background in theatre and dance that’s landed her opportunities to work with Beyonce Coachella, Mary J Blige and many others. In these interviews Nirine discusses her route to the screen, working with Tyler Perry, some future roles she would like to play as well as the nuances of being black in the industry and