Skip to main content

Silly

Silly: The song my momma made me stop listening to.




Before Beyonce sung about being "Crazy in Love", Deniece Williams wrote a song called "Silly."  She sung about feeling foolish in love-feeling silly.  I had this song on repeat for days.  I know I was in middle school, maybe 6th grade, possible 7th grade, but I heard it on the radio- V101.5 at that time it was a radio station that played ole skool Jamz.  One day I heard it and the lyrics resonated with me.  

I was middle school heartbroken, but it was serious.  I'd filled up my journal with written tears for a boy that I felt foolish to feel anything over (story of my life.)  I don't know what it is about discovering a song that makes you feel like it was written for you that it makes you want to play it on repeat all day.

Why do we do that?  Why do we listen to a sad song when we are sad?  Believe it or not, scientists have asked this question and claim they have an answer.  They suggest that "hearing lyrics that resonate can help us articulate emotions we may previously not have had words for."

Well, that's all well and good but my momma wasn't trying to hear that nor was she trying to hear "Silly" all day so after it's 100th time on repeat she burst into my room and asked me why do I continue to listen to this song?  At the time I really couldn't answer her, but I felt seen and heard through the words of the song.  




She told me to turn it off.  She asked me to listen to the words more closely and ask myself do I want to continue to represent the words of that song.  I didn't.  So, I stopped listening to it and I didn't listen to it fully until I became an adult, and it came back on the radio, and I let it play for the last time.  I just listened to it fully again the other day to prepare for this post and I smiled all the way through it because all of my "sad" memories began to pour out and I can't believe I declared these words over my life for a moment.  

Music is powerful because it opens us up to receive and I've observed my own changes in behavior and emotion through music.  It is never wise to chant words that you don't want to accept even to music because it becomes a spell that creates your future moments.




Silly of me to think that ICould ever have you for my guyHow I love youHow I want youSilly of me to think that youCould ever really want me tooHow I love you
You're just a lover out to scoreI know that I should be looking for moreWhat could it be in you I seeWhat could it be
Oh...oh...oh...love, oh, loveStop making a fool of meOh...oh...oh...love, oh, loveStop making a fool of me
Silly of me to think that youCould ever know the things I doAre all done for youOnly for youSilly of me to take the timeTo comb my hair and pour the wineAnd know you're not there
You're just a lover out to scoreAnd I know that I should be looking for moreWhat could it be in you I seeWhat could it be
Oh...oh...oh...love, oh, loveStop making a fool of meOh...oh...oh...love, oh, loveStop making a fool of me
Ooh...hoo...hoo...hoo...
Silly of me to go aroundAnd brag about the love I've foundI say you're the bestWell, I can't tell the restAnd foolish of me to tell them allThat every night and day you callWhen you could care less
You're just a lover out to scoreAnd I know that I should be looking for moreWhat could it be in you I seeWhat could it be
Oh...oh...oh...love, oh, loveStop making a fool of meOh...oh...oh...love, oh, loveStop making a fool of me, uh-huh
Ooh, ooh, ooh, oohOoh...ooh...ooh...sillyOoh, ooh, ooh, oohOoh...ooh...ooh...silly
Ooh, ooh, ooh, oohSillyOoh, ooh, la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-laSillyLa-la-la-la-la-laLa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-laSilly
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Clarence K Mc Donald / Deniece Williams / Fritz Baskett
Silly lyrics © Music Sales Corporation

By, Bedosky, L., Goldman, R., Williams, L., Marks, J. L., Hoskin, M. N., Zapata, K., Pugle, M., & Prager, S. (n.d.). Why sad music can make us feel so good. EverydayHealth.com. https://www.everydayhealth.com/emotional-health/adeles-album-just-dropped-why-her-sad-songs-make-us-feel-so-good/#:~:text=Hearing%20lyrics%20that%20resonate%20can,not%20have%20had%20words%20for.&text=What%20is%20it%20about%20listening,break%2Dup%20or%20a%20move. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Asked Me To

You ever heard a song and it fit your current relationship story perfectly?  That's how it was when I rediscovered Patti LaBelle's, "If You Asked Me To."   LaBelle, released this song in 1989 from her album, Be Yourself . I remember hearing the Celine Dion version as well and falling in love with the song all over again.  Celine Dion is another artist who has hits! I love the way she covers Jennifer Rush's, " The Power of Love. " It wasn't until I was in my late 20s that "If You Asked Me To" began to represent a moment in my love life. I was dating a guy, and we were in the car driving to his family's house because they all lived on one block.  They would all gather together on the weekend to play cards and cookout and all the kids could play freely and random games would start, and it was a lot of fun.   I loved that he enjoyed spending time with his extended family, and I could see that his nieces and nephews really loved him and enjo

I Could Fall In Love

 I Could Fall In Love - The "Seductive Romantic Confessional" I became familiar with the American singer "Selena" Quintanilla after the movie about her life was released in 1997.  I remember watching it at home and being glued to the television from beginning to end.  While watching the movie I learned that this song was the first song to crossover into the American billboard and that she sung in English. I like this song because it is so relatable.  I believe that many of us have stumbled into relationships where we realize suddenly that there could be more, and it could be great but then you question should it be?  This song sings innocently about the first moments in love when all is new, and you are wondering what it could be.   I love how this song is described as a "seductive romantic confessional.  I would not have described it as a "seductive" until I translated the words that Selena speaks midways in the song.  "I'm always dreaming o

QCP Special-BET+ Ruthless "Nirine Brown" Lunch With Lynn interview with Coach Mechelle Canady- Phatabulous Magazine Columnist

Get ready for Press Pass a series of interviews with Tyler Perry’s Ruthless on BET+. Download the BeT+ app today and start watching the Ruthless series. Trust me it lives up to its name honey. The name says it all. Queen Connect publishing will release a series of interviews by columnist and editors of our magazines Phatabulous Duval Connect and Pasco Connect. We’ve teamed up with  Ruthless acts cares   Mercedes TV Magazine  to present a series of interviews with the cast of  Ruthless . This week stay tuned for a series of interviews with  Nirine S. Brown  who plays Lynn on the show. She is a triple threat in the industry not only has she made a powerful mark in acting she has a background in theatre and dance that’s landed her opportunities to work with Beyonce Coachella, Mary J Blige and many others. In these interviews Nirine discusses her route to the screen, working with Tyler Perry, some future roles she would like to play as well as the nuances of being black in the industry and