Skip to main content

Missing You

 Missing You #19





There are so many songs that sing about the many phases of love including love ending.  In Diana Ross' "Missing You" she sings about a love she lost abruptly.  Throughout the song she declares how she misses someone who left her life, but she doesn't know why.  In the first verse she sings, "...Trying to understand the reason you left me.  What were you going through?" She goes on to sing how she misses them and wondered where things changed, "Tell me why the road turns." 


Since you've been away, I've been down and lonely
Since you've been away, I've been thinking of you
Trying to understand the reason you left me
What were you going through?



When you're missing someone everything around you, even the smallest of things reminds you of that person.  And you usually remember the good things and it makes you smile.  But then you become sad because there is still a lingering question of why.  That is what Ross seeks to understand throughout the song.  In the second verse she sings, "I still recall all those dreams we shared together.  Where did you run to, boy?"


As I look around, I see things that remind me
Just to see you smile made my heart fill with joy
I still recall all those dreams we shared together
Where did you run to, boy?


By the bridge of the song Ross realizes that she has to face the truth of this relationship.  She expresses how they let time slip away. The first part of the song she spends the entire time questioning why things ended the way they did but neither of them ever did anything about it and now so much time has passed.  She has to accept something she's feared which is they were never meant to be together and never will have a chance to see what their love could have been.


I've cried so many tears (oh)
Gotta face now all my fears (oh)
We let time slip away
I need you, boy, here today




Since you've been away, I've been down and lonelySince you've been away, I've been thinking of youTrying to understand the reason you left meWhat were you going through?
Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh, I'm missing youTell me why the road turnsOoh-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh, I'm missing youTell me why the road turns
As I look around, I see things that remind meJust to see you smile made my heart fill with joyI still recall all those dreams we shared togetherWhere did you run to, boy?
Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh, I'm missing youTell me why the road turns (tell me why the road turns)Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh, I'm missing youTell me why the road turns
Sometimes I've wondered, I didn't understandJust where you were tryna go, only you knew the planAnd I tried to be there, but you wouldn't let me inBut now you've gone away, boy
I feel so broken-hearted (oh)I knew the day we startedThat we were meant to beIf only you'd let me
I've cried so many tears (oh)Gotta face now all my fears (oh)We let time slip awayI need you, boy, here today
There was so much you gave me to my heart, to my soulThere was so much of your dreams that were never toldYou had so much hope for a brighter dayWhy were you, my flower, plucked away?
Tell me why the road turns (tell me why the road turns)Ooh-ooh (ooh-ooh, I'm missing you)Tell me why the road turns (tell me why the road turns)
Tell me, tell me why (ooh-ooh, I'm missing you)Tell me why the road turns (tell me why the road turns)Oh, don't understand it (ooh-ooh, I'm missing you)Ah-hah, can you hear me, baby?
Tell me why the road turns (tell me why the road turns)(Ooh-ooh, I'm missing you)
Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Nickolas Ashford / Valerie Simpson / Victor Matell Reed / Lionel B. Jr. Richie
Missing You lyrics © Lbr Music, Brockman Music, Brenda Richie Publishing







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Asked Me To

You ever heard a song and it fit your current relationship story perfectly?  That's how it was when I rediscovered Patti LaBelle's, "If You Asked Me To."   LaBelle, released this song in 1989 from her album, Be Yourself . I remember hearing the Celine Dion version as well and falling in love with the song all over again.  Celine Dion is another artist who has hits! I love the way she covers Jennifer Rush's, " The Power of Love. " It wasn't until I was in my late 20s that "If You Asked Me To" began to represent a moment in my love life. I was dating a guy, and we were in the car driving to his family's house because they all lived on one block.  They would all gather together on the weekend to play cards and cookout and all the kids could play freely and random games would start, and it was a lot of fun.   I loved that he enjoyed spending time with his extended family, and I could see that his nieces and nephews really loved him and enjo

I Could Fall In Love

 I Could Fall In Love - The "Seductive Romantic Confessional" I became familiar with the American singer "Selena" Quintanilla after the movie about her life was released in 1997.  I remember watching it at home and being glued to the television from beginning to end.  While watching the movie I learned that this song was the first song to crossover into the American billboard and that she sung in English. I like this song because it is so relatable.  I believe that many of us have stumbled into relationships where we realize suddenly that there could be more, and it could be great but then you question should it be?  This song sings innocently about the first moments in love when all is new, and you are wondering what it could be.   I love how this song is described as a "seductive romantic confessional.  I would not have described it as a "seductive" until I translated the words that Selena speaks midways in the song.  "I'm always dreaming o

QCP Special-BET+ Ruthless "Nirine Brown" Lunch With Lynn interview with Coach Mechelle Canady- Phatabulous Magazine Columnist

Get ready for Press Pass a series of interviews with Tyler Perry’s Ruthless on BET+. Download the BeT+ app today and start watching the Ruthless series. Trust me it lives up to its name honey. The name says it all. Queen Connect publishing will release a series of interviews by columnist and editors of our magazines Phatabulous Duval Connect and Pasco Connect. We’ve teamed up with  Ruthless acts cares   Mercedes TV Magazine  to present a series of interviews with the cast of  Ruthless . This week stay tuned for a series of interviews with  Nirine S. Brown  who plays Lynn on the show. She is a triple threat in the industry not only has she made a powerful mark in acting she has a background in theatre and dance that’s landed her opportunities to work with Beyonce Coachella, Mary J Blige and many others. In these interviews Nirine discusses her route to the screen, working with Tyler Perry, some future roles she would like to play as well as the nuances of being black in the industry and